Friday, June 16, 2017

True heroism

Over the years of writing my former blog Life in Dubai I often talked about the way the word hero was degraded by its use to describe people who were anything but. Entertainers, sportspeople and so on.

And I often posted about my admiration for true heroes, top of the list being firefighters. My father was a firefighter and I was in awe of some of the stories he used to tell my brother and I when we were kids.

My admiration's been reinforced by the terrible tragedy at Grenfell Tower in London.

Two hundred firefighters putting their lives in danger to repeatedly go into the inferno to try to rescue helpless people inside. Reports are suggesting they brought out over sixty.

On the Twitter pages of one of the firefighters at the blaze there's an entry that sums up their heroism perfectly and succinctly

.

No comments: