Monday, January 21, 2013

Lifeguard towers at last

Some six years ago I had a bit of a rant about councils spending millions of our dollars on surf clubs which are a few hundred metres from each other.

As I said then, I have no quarrel with surf clubs and the need for them. What I object to is our taxes building unnecessary duplicate clubhouses on one stretch of beach.

I said then that watchtowers, equipped and serviced from one clubhouse, were what we need.

Now the Sydney Morning Herald reports that it's beginning to happen, with Bondi and Bronte beaches  having portable lifeguard towers.

Importantly, they can be moved according to conditions and events. They'll be equipped with oxygen, first aid kits and defibrillators.

They cost $25,000 each - much less money for a much better outcome.

But for this area at least, it's too late. Our council has already spent millions of our dollars on new clubhouses.


Earlier post is here.

Sydney Morning Herald story.

No comments: