Thursday, October 04, 2012

The grass is greener...

I was reading the other day that the explosion of greenery caused by the last two years of rain has also caused an explosion in the number of feral animals.

It's the natural order of things - an increase in food supply means an increase in animal numbers.

One of the feral problems we have of course is rabbits.

Cute, cuddly they may be but they aren't native, they breed like, well, like rabbits, and they cause huge problems.

Over the past few weeks for the first time ever I've been seeing them in our garden.

A very big one, a medium size one and yesterdfay three little ones.


 
What I don't understand is what's attracting them to the garden. It was a jungle when we got back after six years away, so I've stripped it right back to virtually bare earth so that I can re-plant.
 
Just the other side of the back fence is empty land, full of grass and other green stuff.
 

Yet they ignore that, preferring to squeeze under the fence and scratch around for the odd bit of weed.

I know about 'the grass being greener on the other side of the fence' but we don't have any bloody grass!

No comments: