Saturday, April 28, 2012

You couldn't make it up

Political satire became obsolete when Henry Kissinger was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.

In the nearly forty years since satirist Tom Lehrer made that observation weve had continuous proof that he was right.

Satirists just can't compete with what goes on in reality.

The latest is an absolute classic.

Take a bow Bill Shorten, our federal Minister for Employment and Workplace Relations, and Minister for Financial Services and Superannuation.

Asked on Sky News whether he thought Speaker Peter Slipper should return to the Speaker's Chair while the civil claims against him were still being played out he replied:

"I understand that the Prime Minister has addressed this in a press conference...I haven't seen what she said but let me say that I agree with what it is that she said".


Interviewer: "Hang on. You haven't seen what she said..."

Shorten: "...but I support what my Prime Minister said, so..."

Interviewer:  "Well what's your view"

Shorten:  "Well my view is what the Prime Minister's view is".

The interview finished with:

Shorten: "...and I support what our Prime Minister said".

Interviewer: "But you don't know what that is".

Shorten:  "Mmm, I'm sure she's right".



You can watch the clip here.

It even looks like a satirical sketch.

And this clown is seriously being touted as the next leader of the Labor Party. Unbelievable.


2 comments:

arabic? said...

Surely that interview was scripted by John Clarke? I even read it in his voice ha ha!

Cheers
Waz in Dubai

Seabee said...

Even John Clarke would have thought it was too bizarre for a script!