Monday, December 26, 2011

It's the simple things...

I was dragged, kicking and screaming, into a Myers department store earlier today.

Boxing Day. My guess is that it's the busiest day of the year for retailers. It seemed it anyway.

Hordes of people pushing and shoving. Orderly but endless queues for the fitting rooms. Loooong queues at pay stations.

Killing time, I wandered off to look at stuff for men. I thought I might compare prices with Duty Free and if they were anywhere near I was prepared to spend some money.

No prices marked on the stuff. Just a barcode.

So they expect me to go in search of a customer service executive, a marketing consultant, or whatever they're called these days, which are harder to find than a Tasmanian Tiger.

In the unlikely event that I find one, I would then have to traipse after her so that she can check the price of the item.

Then I have to take it back where I found it if I think it's not value for money.

Repeat for every item I'm interested in.

No thanks.

They can't be bothered to do something as simple as put a price on the stuff they want us to buy, I can't be bothered to give them my money.

Retailers have been whingeing all year that we're not spending enough with them, yet they do so little to make it easy for us to shop with them. And it's the easy stuff they get so wrong so consistently.

Putting a bloody price on your stock is hardly rocket science is it.  It would even give your staff, most of whom stand around bored out of their minds for most of the time most of the year, something to do.

No comments: